Items needed to set up a home studio for RSI – Recommendations
These are just some recommendations that I was asked about when we did a live webinar that you can watch on You Tube 2020.04.10 Remote Interpretation, Ways and Means. I am not sure if all the items are available all the time. This is just a starting point for your own search. I suggest that you look for the specifications and see what works for you.
- Monitor 22 inch or more (for external monitor)
- Good computer (main monitor) You can get computers at all prices and all sorts of capabilities. I got an HP Pavilion. Here are a couple of examples, one with HP Pavilion with i5 processor and one HP Pavilion i7 processor, low and medium price.
- Back-up power supply
- Headsets(2 recommended, for redundancy)
- A Wired connection to the internet. A dedicated connection, with a new line most internet providers will include modem/router. Recommended speeds are 10 Mbps download/5upload 5. Max 50 ms ping. Use speedtest.net to test your speed. I got a good deal setting up a business line on a month to month basis with modem and router dedicated connection. I dealt with Connie Davis, Comcast Business Services, Northeast Division, firstname.lastname@example.org office 603-541.1160 or 603.734.9152 (you may get the same good rate, and I may get a discount, if available in your area) She worked with me during the pandemic closures and set up very quickly.
- Shredder (for confidential paperwork you may receive, many options and prices. this one is for 12 pages at a time, medium range)
- Sound barrier (suggested, depending on your environment, still on my wish list but heard good things about it)
Contacts/ Platforms/ Other resources and links
Fardad Zabetian, CEO
Elena Langdon, Laura Holcomb, and others
|Other platforms for remote interpretation, not all allow for RSI